It is not simple to setup the WiFiCar with the provided software. You should have good knowledge of network handling, and Arduino and C programming.
- Install the Arduino IDE (Integrated Development Environment) and the ESP8266 plugin Links #17 for programming the NodeMCU.
- With Arduino IDE upload my program wifi-car-AP.ino (Access Point mode) to the NodeMCU of the car.
- Power Up the NodeMCU, and try to find the WiFi hotspot (name: wifi-car) on IP address 192.168.4.1.
- Upload the provided JavaSript program wifi-carAP.js to the NodeMCU, via the URL http://192.168.4.1/upload (you will be asked for the File name/path).
- With an Android Smartphone connect with WLAN to the WiFicar Hotspot (name: wifi-car).
- Enter in your Web browser the URL http://192.168.4.1 . A HTML file is loaded (embedded in the C program) and the Java script file is loaded and executed.
- As soon, as you tilt the smartphone, the WiFicar will move in that direction.
- You should be able to see the interface similar to the right.
Board Pin setup
The WiFi-car signals are also mentioned.
Signal Name pin pin Signal Name
- RST Reset 1 22 TXD0 Serial 0 TXD WARNING: 3.3V adapter ONLY
- ADC Analog IN 2 21 RXD0 Serial 0 RXD WARNING: 3.3V adapter ONLY
- EN 3 20 GPIO5 Motor PWMA
- GPIO16 4 19 GPIO4 Motor PWMB
- GPIO14 5 18 GPIO0 Button Flash, Motor DirA
- GPIO12 EncA D6 6 17 GPIO2 LED, blue, Motor DirB
- GPIO13 EncB D7 7 16 GPIO15
- VCC 3.3V ONLY 8 15 GND
- Motor power supply (VM): 4.5V ~ 36V, can be powered separately
- Nodemcu Control power (VIN): 4.5V ~ 9V (10VMAX), can be powered separately
- Logic Operating current Iss: ≤60mA (Vi = L), ≤22mA (Vi = H)
- Driver IC: L293, drive = PWM (Pulse Wide Modulation)
- Drive part of the work current Io: ≤1.2A
- Maximum power dissipation: 4W (T = 90 ℃)
- Control signal input level: High: 2.3V≤VIH≤VIN; Low: -0.3V≤VIL≤1.5V
- ESP12E Dev Kit Control Port:
- GPIO0: Motor DirA, Button FLASH; GPIO5: Motor PWMA
- GPIO2: Motor DirB; GPIO4: Motor PWMB
- The screw terminal is labeled with the signal names.
- The push button switch connects VIN to the board.
- Jumper: set to left to use the external power for nodemcu, this should NOT be higher than 9V, otherwise the board will be burned
- Switch: turn on or off for the power