ESP8266 SDK Windows Setup (updated 11/29)Chao
There is already an official SDK running on Linux Lubuntu, very easy and simple to use. But now here we have the SDK environment transplant to Windows system via the software tool called cygwin, which allow you to create the linux environment in the windows, and we have the SDK running on this certain environment.
This is full setup environment, only need to download to use, let us follow below few steps:
You can get this setup cygwin for ESP file here (SDK is the current 0.93 and with 0.92 codes, seems not working well), some explanation on this link, and use AT new version 020 here. Or use this one SDK 0.92 which will is stable(simple step, only make it, full command wizard differ to the guide below, but always keep the makfile in app folder). i. After get the zip file, unzip it on your disk directly, we did it on drive letter “D:” here, and you should have “D:cygwinCygwin.bat”, click and run cygwin.bat
cd into SDK folder, make and wait about 3-5 minutes for compiling, then run make compose (no need for 092 cygwin sdk) to generate bin files, final bin file is located at bin (appfirmware for 092) folder.
when compose is finished, the esp flasher tool will automatically pop up, check the directory, normally normally to change the drive letter, for example here I have D:cygwin…
Finally connect your board on update mode and flash it!
The steps to setup AT 020 work with SDK093:
- Download the new AT020
- Remove the all the files in /SDK/app except the gen_misc.bat and gen_misc.sh, which are associated with the SDK
- move the files in app in AT020 to /SDK/app, include make files, NOT include the gen_misc files.
- remove sames files in /SDK/bin and replace them by AT020/bin (maybe optionally, please keep sub-folders and compose.sh)
- make and make compose!
- According to the readme file, also flash blank.bin at 0x7e000, see images below:
- Tried the deep sleep mode, some data output after the timeout
Note: This SDK seems can not compile IoT demo well, please still use Lubuntu instead.
[…] I downloaded the package here and followed the instructions TO THE LETTER (that’s important). I ran the batch file and LO – a […]
…..Downloading. Expecting the clean explanation as always……..the another big site just spinned my head !
Just excellent !!!! The coolest compilation. Just a small correction. The Cygwin.bat containing “E:” drive. So, it should be changed if the whole cygwin directory is placed at “D:”.
Thanks for the note, the drive letter can change to any, where you exact the cygwin folder, it is not clearly described in the post.
It will be highly appreciable if you kindly inform the steps to compile V020
with your setup.
I have compiled the V020 with your setup. placed some missing files,directory at bin and verified the Makefile inside the app.
Thanks a lot
Thanks Chao, please add other instruction if I am missing anything to recompile new V020.
1. Move the /cygwin/SDK/app and SDK/bin to different location (not in same /SDK location) and let us consider those as app_old and bin_old directory
2 Copy the espressif SDK directories (at. bin) inside /cygwin/SDK/ rename as app, and bin
3. Copy gen_misc.sh from app_old and paste to new SDK/app/ location
4. Copy following directories and files from bin_old and paste to new /SDK/bin directory
Thanks for this post. I was able to get the 0.9.3 SDK building right away on my i5 laptop running Windows 8.1.
Here’s a rewrite of the steps to add the AT20 code to the build system, that reflects what worked for me. Please confirm that this is correct.
* Install and run the 0.9.3 SDK as described elsewhere.(but don’t flash the ESP8266 yet)
* Recommended – backup the SDK/app and SDK/bin directories. Save somewhere other than the SDK directory
* Download the new AT020, unzip into a temporary directory.
* Remove all the files in current /SDK/app directory, except for gen_misc.bat and gen_misc.sh
* Move all files in the AT020 at directory, EXCEPT for the gen_misc and gen_misc_plus files, to /SDK/app. Include the make files.
* Copy over all files from AT020/bin to /SDK/bin. Allow all overwrites.
* Make and make compose, and flash your ESP8266!
* According to the readme file, also flash blank.bin at 0x7e000 (I didn’t, but my ESP8266 still worked)
It is a great post. I have added my new AT commands also and modifying some existing AT commands for better operation. For example the CWJAP. If the SSID is already connected, it should return, but as of now, it re-connects which takes time.
However, what help and suggestion I am asking from you is to provide some support on Eclipse configuration.
I have successfully configured eclipse Luna version with suitable JRE and can reach upto make. So, it compiles and generates the files inside .output. But I am not abale to configure the ight way to run compose.sh after make (using external tool configuration in Eclipse).
Please help if you can spare some time.
Sorry can not help you on this, the Linux Lubuntu and Windows Cygwin are maybe the best compile environment for now, you can try to these two common options, we don’t use eclipse now and have no knowledge about that, sorry!
Actually i loved your solution and sticking with it. I just wanted an IDE to organize and easily modify the codes thats why using Eclipse with Cygwin as background compiler and your script to proceed with.
So, as of now, I have the eclipse ide opened to compose the code and cygwin window to compile the code!
Thank you all for sharing this information.
Question from a Noob :
I have the compiler running , even compiled – generated bins – and flashed to ESP8266 .
This I did with AT20 files according to excellent instructions given.
Allthough I do not understand wehat this modifications meant , really….
The generated firmware si of no use for me because it is running only 115200 bauds and I need something that can talk to Arduino/Pic.
Now what ?
Anybody can talk me trough as how to make use of this ?
I would really appreciate some help , something like a Tutorial…..
For example , How do I compile an AT20 – SDK 92 version ? what are the changes to make ? How and where edit the application programs ?
Thank you for reading.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Better not used on AT firmware if you are going to run a real project, we are writing another tutorial here, please see:
Most basic function are already pre-build in the demo code.
Thank you Chao. I will be reading all of it
I am trying to update from local server using “cloud update”, but cant generate user1.bin and user2.bin.
I have tried to follow http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=620
but, no success.
Waiting for your kind suggestion. Please help.
I need to use SPI on Arduino for ESP-07 module. Any sample code please?
Can you please give guidelines how to compile an IOT SDK to AT or, a new IOT SDK to old AT?
You can find the official SDK at bbs.espressif.com, it maybe better and easy to use then this one.
May have been good last year, but as of 6/23/15 most of theses links DON’T work. Unable to load SDK for windows for this reason.
Dear all, please visit w.electrodragon.com and search for “ESP8266 firmware” or “ESP8266”
The reply about the AT commands is spot on. There is so much more power in the board itself.